Project – Vintage Nightgown
Recipient – Lu
Pattern – Butterick 3077 from the 1970s
Fabric – 1950s vintage plisse bought from shopmakethislook on Instagram
A sweet little nightgown I made last year for those hot summer nights. It has a teenager girl listening to records printed all over and the yellow ribbon matches the girl’s yellow hair. It’s been worn many time since I made it even though my girl has grown a lot this year. My sister found the pattern in a thrift shop and it was just perfect. Size 4, but with added length it fit Lu well at 6 years old and still fits well more than a year later.
This week I stumbled onto this tutorial for making nightgowns. My daughter is a girly girl who loves dresses, so I decided to give this tutorial a try. I’m really pleased with how this turned out.
First I took a cheap t-shirt I picked up at Target. I could have used a shirt we already own, but since my daughter rarely wears t-shirts we didn’t have any on hand. Then I took some fabric from my stash (teeny tiny Chrysler buildings) and cut a piece 44 inches wide by 18 inches long. From there I tried to follow the tutorial, but I didn’t feel like pulling down my serger. So instead I ironed on a thin line of interfacing along the cut edge of the t-shirt to stabilize the knit then stitched with zigag stitch on my regular machine. It worked perfectly.
At first my daughter didn’t like it. I was sad because I thought it was so darling! I contemplated slapping something pink on it, but I’m glad I held off because tonight she asked to wear it to bed. So cute!
I have supplies for two more and I can’t wait to sew them up.