Superstar! 

img_7760

This is a kid who is ready to take on the world!

We’ve had a busy start to the school year, but I did manage to make Lu a new sweater in time for her first day as a Superstar at preschool. This is her 3rd and final year at her school and she’s certainly one of the big kids now.

img_7761

She’s also spent all summer growing taller and taller. I’m pretty sure she’s 75% legs now. When I went to pull out her uniforms I found none of her sweaters were long enough anymore.

So I turned to my Ravelry library and found I had Georgie Nicolsen’s Feris Wheel pattern. Plus I had some Cascade 220 Superwash Sport in Red to match her dress code.

img_7755

The sweater came together really well and clearly Lu likes it. Georgie’s patterns are nice to knit because they are written where you pick a width and height. I picked the 20 inch chest and size 4 length. What can I say, the girl is tall and slender! The only thing I wish is I’d added more increases to the front. The sweater isn’t meant to be worn closed (despite the buttons), but Lu tries to pull it closed anyways.

img_7757

Silly Lu. She just doesn’t ever stop moving! But she’s been off to a good start for the school year and hopefully we’ll get more cool weather soon so Lu can continue to wear her new favorite sweater.

 

 

Advertisements

Lovely Linen

Nothing says the end of summer like finishing a sun dress on Labor Day!

img_7749

But that is exactly how I spent my weekend when I wasn’t focused on potty training our toddler.

I love this dress. After so much frustration with getting something to fit I am thrilled I gave it one more try before moving onto another pattern.

img_7741

This is a mash up on my heavily modified Gertie bodice with the gored skirt from Cashmerette’s Upton Dress. When I made my Liberty dress a few weeks ago I made the mistake of lowering the bust darts way too much. This time I did all the same alterations only I lowered the bust dart 1/2 inch. Such a difference.

img_7751

Still not 100% perfect, but oh so close. Once I tried it on I had to take it in 1/2 inch at the under arm. No big deal and easy to adjust on the pattern piece.

But damn this fits my bust well.

img_7752

And in the back I got the back adjustment just right in the upper back. But then I forgot to re-add the width to the waist. Whoops! Also easily added to the pattern piece for next time. So you can see a bit of pulling there.

img_7745

The fabric is a linen/cotton blend from The Fabric Store. I purchased it right after the Upton pattern came out, but then it sat in timeout while I battled my fit issues. The fabric is quite open in weave so I lined the entire dress with some bright apple green Free Spirit voile I purchased when my local fabric store went out of business. The lining took just 2.5 yards, so I still have another 3 yards of voile for another project.

Thankfully here in Southern California we’ll have warm weather for another 2-3 months so still plenty of time to wear this beauty through fall!